Dear McKinley Families:
This letter informs you that an individual at McKinley Elementary School has tested positive for COVID- 19. The positive individual has not been in the building recently, and there are no close contacts. This additional case does not affect our outbreak status, and we are clear to continue in-person learning tomorrow, February 23rd. McKinley Elementary School students and staff’s health and safety is our highest priority, and we recognize the uncertainty and concern regarding the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the state and local health departments for best practices and procedures to protect everyone’s health. To prevent further spread of the disease, McKinley Elementary School is taking the following steps:
- Identify and notify close contacts (i.e., persons who were within six feet of a COVID-positive individual for 15 minutes or longer).
- Placing staff members and students who are identified as having prolonged close contact with the COVID-19 case(s) in quarantine for 14 days. Close contacts will also receive a separate notification from the LaSalle County Health Department.
- Ongoing monitoring of students and staff for signs and symptoms of illness and evaluation of illness reports to promptly identify possible outbreaks.
- Conducting a deep clean and disinfection of the areas impacted by potential exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
We will continue to enforce safe practices to prevent, promptly identify, and respond to potential COVID cases, as follows:
- Students and staff who are ill with COVID-like symptoms will promptly be placed in a separate supervised area away from others until they can be sent home.
- Students are required to wear face coverings at all times, as previously directed and per school policy.
- Staff are required to wear face coverings at all times while in contact with children and other staff in the facility.
- We are continuously sanitizing high-touch surfaces, including door handles, sink faucets, etc.
- We have removed plush toys and other toys that cannot be properly or frequently disinfected.
- We are teaching students the importance of face coverings, social distancing, and proper handwashing:
- Students are discouraged from sharing personal items, e.g., water bottles.
- Students are learning new ways to greet each other without touching.
- Students are reminded to avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth and to cover coughs and sneezes.
- Students will be taught to wash their hands frequently and properly, following CDC guidelines on handwashing.
- As we receive more information from the Department of Public Health and other entities, we will implement additional recommendations and guidelines.
As always, everyone should monitor their health and stay at home if they develop symptoms. Sick persons should contact their health care provider to determine if testing is needed. Anyone who develops severe symptoms should seek medical care immediately. If your child has had close contact with a known case of COVID-19, keep the child at home and notify your primary healthcare provider, school, and your local health department.
We are committed to providing your child and our staff with a safe and healthy environment. Thank you for your understanding and ongoing cooperation with our COVID prevention policies and procedures as we work to help protect your children, your families, and our staff and their families. For any questions or concerns, please contact us at (815) 433-1907.
Ottawa Elementary Families- Please remember to continue to check your child’s temperature and screen for COVID-like symptoms prior to sending your child to school or the bus stop. Please check your child for a fever of 100.4 or higher, congestion, runny nose, headache, stomach ache, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, fatigue, muscle or body aches. If your child exhibits any of these symptoms, please contact us and keep your child home from school.
815-434-1250 Ext. 3005
815-434-0726 Ext. 2005
815-434-7925 Ext. 5005
815-433-3761 Ext. 1005
815-433-1907 Ext. 4005